I committed at the beginning of 2009 to keeping a live, public, active record of when personal goals were accomplished, and now, years later, I can say with absolutely certainty that choosing to do this was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. My intention is that this list is active and will move and grow, just as I do.
Doniree’s Life List: Created October 5, 2009
- Bakasana (crow pose): (October 11, 2009 – Simon Park‘s Inversions and Arm Stands Workshop at CorePower Minneapolis)
Go camping in Oregon(June 2012)
- See a ballet.
- Sell my car (January 2010)
Get published in a magazine that is still in print.(Seattle Met published one of my photos in 2013).
- Host a pop-up dinner party.
- Participate in a coffee tasting (cupping).
Take a knitting class. (February 2012, Mt. Scott Community Center)
- Get a 4th tattoo (March 23, 2010 – “Satya” (truth) in Sanskrit)
- See a movie alone.
Run a half-marathon(September 1, 2013 | Race to the End of the Summer, San Jose, CA)
- Learn how to use Photoshop (On February 12, 2010, I created my own blog header, and it’s currently the #1 photo-editing tool I use for photography.)
- Canoe or kayak in a body of water in Minneapolis (Lake Calhoun, etc.) or Oregon (Willamette).
Take a pole-dancing class.(January 9, 2011 | Ecdysiast, Portland, OR)
- Get completely out of debt before the end of my 32nd year.
- Shop any one of the Twin Cities farmers’ markets (other than Nicollet Mall) (September 19, 2009 – Minneapolis/Lyndale Ave Farmer’s Market)
Take an HTML/CSS class. (2008, MCTC, Minneapolis)
- Ride in a hot air balloon. Twice! Reno, NV: July 2010 and Napa, CA, July 2012)
- Try Bubble Tea (aka Boba) (December 8, 2009 – The Tea Garden, Dinkytown, Minneapolis, MN)
- Eat tapas in Spain.
- Complete CorePower’s Yoga Teacher Training Program (completed November 15, 2009)
- Take another Spanish class.
- Try curry (November 15, 2009; Yoga Teacher Training banquet, Bombay Bistro, Minneapolis)
Run a 5k(September 17, 2011, Mt. Angel, Oregon’s Oktoberfest. Finishing time: 45:08.9. 14:34 minute mile. Ran with Nicole).
- No processed food for a week (Oops! This turned into a lifestyle. Sorta. On Saturday, February 27, 2011 I threw out all of the processed/packaged foods from my cupboards, and have made a conscious effort ever since to eat real food instead. It’s not a perfect system, but it’s been a huge change).
Go horse-back riding again(August 2012, Costa Rica).
- Figure out how to cook tofu.
Get a fifth tattoo. (Finished January 18, 2013). Launch a business.(WEE! July 2012, Launched EffYeah Media, LLC) Get a passport. (October 2011)
- Drive a moped.
- Shoot a bow and arrow. Or a gun. Or both. (Both at an approved, safety-first kind of place).
- Pick out pumpkins in a pumpkin patch. (October 23, 2010)
Try acupuncture for both a non-physical and a physical thing. (July 2012, for allergies among other things)
- Have my palms read.
Have a psychic or tarot card reading(May 21, 2011 in Vegas).
- Drink espresso. Like, straight espresso in one of those cute tiny little cups they serve it in. (It kept me up all night.)
- Work with high school students (teach yoga, cooking, something).
- Visit every US state – 33/50. Driving through counts. Only seeing the airport doesn’t.
- Become a member of an art museum (Portland Art Museum, Christmas 2010).
- Go to Vegas! (Bloggers in Sin City 1.0: June 4-7, 2009) | (Bloggers in Sin City 2.0: May 2010) | (Bloggers in Sin City 3.0: May 2011) (Bloggers in Sin City 4: May 2012) (Bloggers in Sin City 5: May 2013) (#WhiskeyVegas: April 12-14, 2014)
Grow my own herbs.
- Travel around in a motorhome/RV/Airstream for awhile
- Eat pizza in NYC. (January 19, 2011)
- See a Cirque du Soleil in Vegas. (Bloggers in Sin City : May 2009 / May 2012 / May 2013)
- Stick my feet in the Pacific Ocean from the North American west coast (San Diego/Coronado Island, July 2010)
- Go to NYC (August 14-16, 2009)
- See a musical on Broadway.
- SxSWi (March 12-16, 2010 / March 2013)
- Take the Amtrak Starlight train up/down the West Coast (SEA > LA, or some significant portion of that — I’ve done PDX to SEA, but I won’t count this until I’ve been in CA).
Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.(Close enough! I walked part of it in July 2012.)
- Visit at least two museums in New York City (November 2012, The Metropolitan Museum of Art).
Tour the US Capitol(check! June 2013) and/or the White House.
- Sit in a cockpit during all or part of a flight.
Go wine tasting in Napa.(July 2012)
- Live abroad.
- Attend a film festival: Sundance, Cannes, etc.
- Go to Alaska.
- Make lasagna (August 25, 2009, with Alissa)
- Make granola from scratch (August 15, 2010 for Sunday Potluck, using this recipe)
- Live somewhere for an extended period of time where I don’t need a car. (January 10, 2010, landed in Colorado without a car. As of May 2014, still no car.)
- See MIKA in concert.
- Help bring yoga to high schoolers (teamed up with The Wellness Initiative in Boulder, CO, January 2010)
- Get on a kiss cam.
- Grow my own food (beyond herbs).
- Get my wardrobe down to the basics, favorites, fewest amount of things needed.
- Visit five major cities in Canada. (Vancouver, BC: 7/2012)
- See every MLB stadium (Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta Braves; Busch Stadium (old), St. Louis; Metrodome, Minnesota Twins; Miller Park, Milwaukee Brewers; Camden Yards, Baltimore Orioles; US Cellular Field, Chicago White Sox; Wrigley Field, Chicago Cubs; Coors Field, Denver, CO; Petco Field, San Diego, CA; Target Field, Minneapolis, MN; Safeco Field, Seattle, WA)
- Study Sanskrit (definitely covering this on a basic level in Yoga Teacher Training – 2009)
- Eat pizza in Naples.
- Practice yoga daily for 30 days straight.
- Spend 1-2 weeks, totally or mostly unplugged, on an island or a beach somewhere warm and gorgeous.
- Have three months’ income in a savings account.
- Get opportunities to travel or get invited on a trip of some sort because of blogging/writing – July 6-8, 2010 – National Cherry Festival, Traverse City, MI | September 2010 – Great Reno Balloon Race | Wenatchee, WA | Seattle, WA | Napa, California | Yakima Valley, WA | Snoqualmie, WA
- Buy something big (like a house, boat, or a car, and pay cash for it).
- Go on a cruise.
- Make taco seasoning from scratch (January 17, 2011 – loosely based on this recipe).
Go to Pike Place Market in Seattle.(September 5, 2011)
- Attend a silent meditation retreat.
- Run races in 5 different states. (1a, 5k – Mt. Angel Oktoberfest, Mt. Angel, Oregon, 9/17/11; 1b, 5k – Jingle Bell Run, Portland, OR 12/9/2011; 2 – Ragnar Relay, Southern California, 4/19-20/2013; 3 – North Olympic Discovery 10k, Port Angeles, WA)
Do yoga on the beach in Costa Rica(August 2012).
- Make an IM (Integrated Medicine) doctor and/or naturopath my primary care physician. — working on this, summer 2012
Participate in the development of an iPhone app. Client work includes this (content development and promotion), July 2012.
- Ride in a helicopter.
- Launch an eBook.
- Travel by train. (27th birthday gift, June 18-20, 2010. Amtrak from Denver to Glenwood Springs).
- Have boudoir or pin-up-esque photos taken. Or both.
- Make-out in the Kissing Room at The Local in Minneapolis (Sunday, May 30, 2010)
- White-water raft down the Colorado River, in the Grand Canyon.
Snowshoe(February 2014, Mt. Hood)
- Study Buddhism.
- Teach a yoga class (beyond what I’ve done as a part of Teacher Training).
Do some kind of water sport (kayak, canoe, paddleboard) in the Willamette(float, July 2013)
- The Great Loop
Run a 10k(check! June 2013). Speak at a conference(20-Something Bloggers Summit, August 2011 | Collaborative Content)
- Attend a TED event.
Have Shatterboxx design my life blog or website. (EffYeahMedia.com launched December 3, 2012)